News

Offer of molded wooden boards for joinery

The latest NEW OFFER at the Kinský dal Borgo saw mill: Oak molded boards ready for joinery use or carpentry you can visit the saw mill during working days, working hours and choose amongst our different products: wooden boards, firewood and briquetts for heating.

Kinský dal Borgo a.s. » Activities » Hunting » Hunting in the past

Hunting in the past

The Kinský dal Borgo company owns nine hunting preserves which cover an area of 6883 hectares. This areas  includes an enclosure, a pheasantry and seven game preserves. The history of the Obora Kěžičky  enclosure is quite interesting.

The History of Obora

The history of Obora is closely tied to the history of the Chlumec estate. This enclosure changed hands relatively quickly, as did the estate of Chlumec until 1611 when it became the property of the Kinský family and it has remained in their possession ( except for the expropriation from 1947-1992) until the present. When Vaclac Kinský , who received the estate from Rudolph II, proposed the foundation of an enclosure not far from Chlumec nad Cidlinou to the Czech Assembly, his request was denied. Nonetheless, Vaclav began the works and completed the enclosure, establishing the breeding of fallow and red deer, making Obora  one of the oldest enclosures in the Czech Republic. To make the hunting, and its associated revelries, more pleasant, Kinský decided to build a summer palace on the southern slope in the Renaissance style,  where it is still standing today.  In 1760, Frantisek Ferdinand started administering the estate, and as he was the Imperial Master of Hunts, he invested significant resources in representation. He started the spectacular parforce hunts, for which the original Obora enclosure was no longer suitable. For this reason, he had it enlarged from 1773-1774  but these spectacular alterations had their downside. High financial expenses required a significant increase in the forced labour which caused a local peasant uprising in 1775.  In the following period, the owners of the estate lost interest in the breeding at Obora.  They started raising horses in Obora Kněžič and the breed was called the Chlumec bucksin.

At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, fallow deer breeding was restored, which was partly at the expense of the red deer, which were still being bred. Documents from those times indicate that  the precious white deer, long Obora's showpiece, was no longer being bred. Finally, a white deer was reared in the  Žehušické park. In 1935, the estate of Chlumec was managed by Zdeněk Radoslav Kinský, who decided to establish  a bird observation station  in the park and took the first steps towards having the area declared a protected territory. This project succeeded only much later since the advent of WWII and the Kinský family's refusal to submit to the Nazi's caused the confiscation of their property. On February 8th, 1948 a nature reserve was declared in all the fields adjacent the Žehuňsky pond to protect the towing birds and rare flora. A professional forestry school was set up in the Obora enclosure and it continued operating until 1998. The forest management was carried out by the State Forestry Department until the property was returned to the owners in 1993.

Obora Kněžičky today

Currently, in the Obora Kněžičky enclosure , which measures about 980 hectares, about 250 moufflons and 170 fallow deer are raised. Almost all the trophies are sold to hunting guests.  Each year around 40 paying hunters, both local and foreign, arrive in Kněžičky to experience the thrill of seeing so many bronze, silver and gold medal animals, and about 150 fallow deer and 150 moufflon are culled. during the season.

The best trophies and the pheasantry

 The best trophies are found in Obora Kněžičky: fallow deer with 293.44 CIC points and moufflon with 228.50 CIC points.

The second specific preserve is the pheasantry called Luhy , situated 4 kilometers  northeast of Chlumec nad Cidlinou. Luhy provides 667 ha for hunting and we breed our own pheasants from a flock numbering about 1,000. The flock produces about 30,000 eggs, some of  which are used for further breeding and while others are sold. Roughly 10,000  pheasants are freed to live in the wild, and during the entire hunting season, about half of this number is shot. There are about 9 driven hunts a season.

Besides pheasant hunting, there is also a hunting lodge in Luhy which can be rented for your cultural and social events such as weddings, business meetings, etc. Traditionally, an annual test for large breed dogs is organized in the forest .

The seven remaining forest hunting grounds with an area of 6192 ha falls under the five municipalities with extended powers. Deer and wild boar are mainly hunted in these hunting grounds.

Game reduction hunting is carried out by hunting groups from home and abroad. The most popular  hunts are the wild boar battue, as evidenced by the fact that groups of hunters return to our hunting grounds for many years. Our clientele of foreign hunters is very diverse  and come from England, Scotland, Sweden, Cyprus, Germany, Austria and Italy. Annually around 160  deer  are harvested and more than 400 wild boar are shot on the hunting grounds